Hsbc premier credit card insurance car rental
HSBC Premier clients are encouraged to take advantage of a range of complimentary insurance policies attached to their credit card and debit card accounts.
The Premier range of cards form part of HSBC's wealth management service. This places a strong focus on the financial and banking needs of their high net wealth customers. In order to qualify for the insurance policies attached, you will need to have either a HSBC Premier World MasterCard or a HSBC Premier Debit Card. You're under no obligation to use the policies unless you choose to, but they are available if you ever need them or want them.Need to make a claim?
Zurich is the insurance company that provides insurance for eligible HSBC products. If you wish to make a claim, please note that you need to contact Zurich, not HSBC. If you are overseas: +61 2 9995 2477 If you are in Australia: 1800 072 791
Complimentary Insurance policies
International travel insurance
Use your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card to pay for your overseas travel costs and you could be covered by the international travel insurance policy. For the purpose of this policy, even travelling from mainland Australia to Norfolk Island or to Christmas Island will be considered an overseas trip. Likewise, travelling from Tasmania to mainland Australia will also be considered an overseas trip. The same is true for travelling from Australia to Lord Howe Island or Cocos Island, with the exception that medical expenses incurred overseas may not be covered.
Find out more about Complimentary international travel insurance
There are multiple aspects of this policy that cover you for certain things. These include:
Medical and hospital expenses
If you're involved in an accident or are injured or become ill during your overseas trip, your policy may cover you for any medical expenses you incur. This includes medical or surgical treatment you receive, or any other treatment given by a medical professional. You may be covered for an unlimited amount of money to cover your medical and hospital expenses incurred while you're overseas. There is also provision within the policy to cover any costs for a relative to travel to wherever you are and to escort you back home again. This will only take effect if a medical professional confirms in writing that you require an escort. The policy will also cover costs incurred for emergency dental treatments to up a maximum of $750. The dental practitioner will need to verify that your treatment was given as an emergency to relieve pain in writing. Your policy won't cover any dental treatment caused by decay or deterioration, nor will it cover work to dentures or crowns. Additionally, you may also be able to claim a bed patient allowance to cover incidental costs that include TV rental and newspapers. The maximum amount you're able to claim is limited to $75 per day, up to a maximum of $2250. Keep in mind that the insurer reserves the right to return you to Australia to continue your medical care under Medicare if they deem it necessary.
Resuming overseas journey after death of a relative
In the event that you are required to interrupt your overseas journey in order to return home following the death of a relative, your insurance policy may cover you for any costs you must pay in order to resume your journey. You can claim for up to a maximum of $7,500 per person under this policy. It's important that you resume your originally planned trip within 30 days from the time you returned to Australia. You also can't claim if you had already completed your planned trip and were already heading home. There must have been a minimum of 14 days or 25% of the total planned trip remaining for this cover to take effect. You also can't make a claim if the relative died before you booked and paid for your travel plans. The relative must have died during your overseas trip and must not have been as a result of already being diagnosed with a terminal illness.
There are times when you may find your trip is interrupted unexpectedly, leaving you in a situation where you may miss a special event that can't be delayed. When this happens, you may be forced to pay additional costs to obtain alternative means of transportation to reach your destination on time. You may be able to claim up to a maximum of $3,000 to cover the reasonable costs of booking alternative transport so you can attend a special event. Keep in mind that the term 'special event' refers to any event that cannot be cancelled or delayed due to you not being there. This includes weddings, reunions, and other ticketed events.
Unexpected cancellation and subsequent travel fees
In the event that your originally planned trip is cancelled due to circumstances out of your control, you may be able to claim for your costs to be reimbursed. The costs you incur must have arisen from any of the following:
- If a natural disaster occurs at your intended destination or at your normal home within Australia
- If you are quarantined unexpectedly
- If you are subpoenaed to appear in court within Australia
- If you or a relative dies or becomes seriously ill or is severely injured unexpectedly
- If your pre-arranged leave from work is cancelled, due to you being employed by the police department, the fire brigade, the ambulance service, the defence forces or other emergency services
- If your trip is cancelled due to riot, war or rebellion at your destination or at your usual home within Australia
- If your trip cannot proceed due to inclement weather conditions
You may be covered for an unlimited amount under this policy for an unlimited amount. It's up to you to take all reasonable steps to minimise any losses you may incur, including cancelling any other travel plans and accommodation. If you have already prepaid for certain costs such as accommodation that aren't refundable, these may be claimed for under this policy. However, any fees incurred by your travel agent, such as their cancellation fees, may be limited to a maximum of $500. If the cause of the cancellation is due to a service provider suffering from financial collapse, your policy may cover you for up to $3,750 per person for these costs. If you attempt to cancel your pre-planned and paid for trip because you failed to obtain a passport or Visa in time for your trip to commence, you won't be covered. Of course, if you decide to resume your trip at a later point, your insurer may decide to pay you any reasonable costs you incur in resuming that trip. In the event that the carrier cancels your trip and you incur additional costs for travel or accommodation as part of your trip, these may be reimbursed.
Rental Vehicle Excess
In the event that you are involved in an accident while driving a rental vehicle overseas, the excess costs you incur may be covered for up to a maximum of $3,000. It's important that the rental vehicle is rented from a licensed operator and that you have obtained comprehensive insurance as part of your rental agreement. For your interest, we have provided a list of credit cards with car rental features.
If your travel is delayed due to circumstances outside of your control for more than 6 hours, you may be able to claim for the reasonable cost of meals and accommodation. The amount you can claim is limited to a maximum of $350 per person or up to $900 if you're travelling with a spouse or any dependent children. You will need to provide verification of the delay in writing from the carrier to make a claim under this policy.
In the event that you die while you're travelling overseas, your policy may cover the cost of your funeral or cremation overseas, or the cost to return your remains back to your hometown in Australia. You may be able to claim up to a maximum of $15,000 per person for your funeral expenses. The policy may also cover up to $30,000 if you're travelling with your spouse or dependent children. You won't be covered if you die as a result of a pre-existing medical condition that has not been previously approved by the insurer.
If you die as a result of an accident that you sustained on your overseas trip, you may be covered. In order to make a claim, your death must occur within a 12 month period of the date the accident occurred. In the event that your death occurs as a result of an accident while travelling aboard a plane or boat and your body can't be found, then you will be considered dead after a 12 month period from the date of the accident. You may be able to claim for up to $30,000 per person, $30,000 for your spouse and an additional $5,000 per dependent child in the event of accidental death under this policy. The total claim is limited to a maximum of $65,000. This particular policy does not cover you if your death is as a result of illness or disease. Rather, your demise must have been deemed to be from injuries you sustained in an accident.
There are times when simple neglect may inadvertently cause injury to another person or damage to another person's property. You may be covered under this policy for any legal liability that may arise as a result of your negligence during your trip overseas. The insurer reserves the right to settle or defend the claim or make an offer of payment. They will also pay legal costs and fees incurred, but only if they incur them on your behalf or if you incur costs after the insurer has agreed to this action in writing. You may be covered for up to a maximum of $2,500,000 under this policy. Remember that you won't be covered for causing injury to someone who is related to you, or someone you are travelling with, or an employee working for you. You also won't be covered if you own and are driving or operating a motorised vehicle, a motorised watercraft, or an aircraft. Your policy only covers you if you incur legal liability expenses while travelling as a passenger aboard these vehicles and if you don't own or control that particular transport. If you incur legal liabilities as a result of your profession or usual occupation, or from your business, these aren't covered under this policy.
Loss or damage to personal items
In the event that your personal items are lost or damaged during your overseas trip, you may be able to make a claim for them under this policy. If your personal property is stolen, damaged or lost during your trip, you need to report the loss or damage to the local police. If your personal baggage is lost, delayed or misplaced for longer than 12 hours you may be able to claim for emergency replacement of personal clothing and toiletries. You may be covered for up to a maximum of $25,000 per person under this policy. Individual items may also have separate limitations placed on them. These include:
- Maximum $6,000 per item for personal valuables and clothing
- Maximum $6,000 per item for electrical equipment, including binoculars
- Maximum $6,000 per item for cameras and associated equipment
- Maximum $6,000 per item for personal tablet PCs, laptop computers and associated equipment
- Maximum $600 per person for travel documents
- Maximum $600 per person for emergency replacement of personal clothing and toiletries
In the event that your personal items were lost or stolen while left unattended in a motor vehicle, the maximum amount you're able to claim is limited to $150 per item, up to a limit of $1,000 per event for this particular type of claim. It's important to remember that you are responsible for taking reasonable precautions to ensure your personal property is as safe as possible. This includes not leaving your items unattended in public places or in unlocked motor vehicles. You also may not be covered if you accidentally leave your own personal belongings behind or forget them while you're packing. If you leave your items with a person who then proceeds to steal or damage your items, this policy will not cover your losses. There may be occasions when you choose to post or otherwise transport items you purchase overseas back to your home address. As these items aren't part of your accompanying luggage, they won't be covered. You can make a claim for loss or damage to any personal jewellery or watches, as well as personal cameras, mobile phones, tablet PCs, laptop computers or other electrical items. However, those items are only covered if they're carried in hand-luggage and in your personal care. Your personal sporting equipment may also be covered if it is lost or damaged in transit. However, you aren't covered if it's damaged while you're using it.
Repairing or replacing your items
If you make a claim under this policy, the insurer has the right to decide between repairing or replacing your personal items. If the items you're claiming for were purchased duty free while you were travelling overseas, the maximum amount that will be repaid to you to replace those items is the same as the amount you paid for them.
An excess amount of $200 applies for any claim made under the International Travel Insurance policy. However, there is an exception for claims made under the Loss or Damage of Personal Items policy. For this particular policy there is no excess payable if your claim includes replacing lost or damaged travel documents, traveller's cheques or credit cards. This also includes claims for replacing lost clothing or toiletries during your trip.
Transit accident insurance
There is a Transit Accident policy attached to your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card. This offers you a level of coverage against accidental death or injury sustained while you're a passenger aboard a plane, train, bus, or ferry. Your coverage also extends to injuries sustained while you're boarding or alighting from any of those vehicles as part of your trip. This policy may also cover you for injuries sustained while riding as a passenger aboard a licensed taxi or bus on route to an airport or station or dock or depot during your trip. You're also covered for the period of time where you're travelling in such a vehicle on your way to commencing or immediately following your planned trip. In the event that you are involved in an accident while riding as a passenger aboard any of the previously mentioned vehicles and your body can't be found, then an amount may be paid to your estate after a period of 12 months. There are also provisions for payments to be made in the event of you sustaining serious injuries from the accident. This includes loss of life, loss of one or both limbs or loss of eyesight in one or both eyes. The maximum amount that the insurer will pay for a claim from one accident is limited to a maximum of $775,000
Purchase protection insurance
Using your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit card to pay for personal items may entitle you to Purchase Protection coverage. This lets you claim for damage, loss or theft of your personal items, no matter where in the world you bought them, as long as they were paid for on your Premier card. You may be covered for up to 90 days from the date you purchased the item and you should be reimbursed for the amount you charged to your Premier card account. There are some restrictions that may apply for certain items.
- You may claim up to a maximum of $2,500 only if you're claiming for jewellery, watches or fine arts
- There is a $100,000 limit set as the maximum amount that can be claimed in any 12 month period
There is a $100 excess payable for claims made under this policy.
Extended warranty insurance
When you purchase items using your HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card, you may be eligible for Extended Warranty benefit. This policy allows you to extend the normal Australian warranty offered on any personal items you purchase for up to an additional 12 months. The actual length of warranty extension will depend heavily on the length of warranty offered on the item. For example, if the item purchased comes with a 6 month Australian warranty, your Extended Warranty cover will extend for an additional 6 months. If the item has a 12 month warranty, your Extended Warranty cover will extend for an additional 12 months. However, if item has a warranty that extends for up to 5 years the maximum amount of Extended Warranty available is limited to an additional 12 months only. There is no coverage available for items with an Australian warranty of more than 5 years. There is a $200 excess payable for claims made under this policy and there is a limit on how much you can claim of $10,000 in any 12 month period.
Guaranteed pricing scheme
As a HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card account owner, you won't have to worry about paying too much for an item ever again. The Guaranteed Pricing Scheme allows you to claim the difference in price between what you paid for an item and the cost of a cheaper item advertised elsewhere. As long as you see the exact same item advertised at a lower price within a 25 kms distance from the store you purchased the original item, you may be covered. The price difference needs to be greater than $75. You must make your claim within 21 days of when you purchased the original item. You also must ensure that the item is precisely the same, with the same model number and year from the same manufacturer in order to be successful with your claim.Back to top
What is not covered in your policies?
There are always going to be specific situations where your insurance policies won't cover you for certain acts or events. It's important to understand what events may not be covered before you make a claim.
The policies included in the HSBC Premier Credit Card or Debit Card accounts only extend to your personal items. These policies are not intended to provide coverage for any items that are owned by your business. Likewise, your policy won't cover any items you buy while overseas that you intend to resell or on-sell for your business or that you take with you in order to sell them while overseas. If you are travelling with business items in tow, ensure that you obtain adequate business insurance for those specific items and events separately.
Pre-existing medical conditions
Any event that occurs because of or due to a pre-existing medical condition may not be covered, unless you have received prior approval for that condition. You will not be insured if you book your travel after being advised by a medical professional not to travel. You also won't be covered if the sole purpose of your travel plans is to receive medical advice or treatment overseas. Your policies also won't cover you if you have been informed by a medical professional that you are terminally ill. If you have a pre-existing medical condition that does not fall under these categories, you may need to apply to Zurich to have your condition included in your coverage. Pregnant women may not make a claim for costs of any regular medical consultations or examinations, nor may you claim for the actual childbirth. However, if there are unforeseen medical issues surrounding the pregnancy, including actual childbirth, these may be covered. It's important to remember that the child's health and costs incurred by the child for healthcare overseas will not be covered under this policy.
Your personal actions and responsibilities
There are occasions and events where these policies will not cover you due to situations arising from your own actions or responsibilities. These include:
- If you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the event
- You consciously being in a dangerous situation or location, unless you are consciously trying to preserve your own life
- Loss, damage or injury that occurs due to intentional actions by you, including suicide
- Being involved in any illegal activities, fraudulent activities or abusive behaviour
- Being involved in underwater activities that require artificial breathing equipment
- You riding a motorcycle that has an engine capacity bigger than 200cc and you're not the driver
- You being injured during mountain climbing or rock climbing, white water rafting, abseiling, tobogganing, bungy jumping, hang gliding, skydiving, base jumping or other intentionally dangerous sporting activities
- You participating in professional sport
- Any act of terrorism
- Acts of war or hostility or rebellion
- You not abiding by the recommended security actions surrounding currency, cheques, credit cards or traveller's cheques
Hertz, the world's largest general use car rental brand, has always been the first choice for both business travellers and holidaymakers. Through its impressive network of approximately 8,500 locations in 146 countries worldwide, Hertz offers you quality cars and a wide range of services, wherever your travels take you.
Hertz year-round offers
Valid until 31 December 2016
HSBC Premier cardholders will enjoy the following:
|- Hertz #1 Club Gold Membership |
Applicable for HSBC cardmembers in Asia
|Over 1,000 locations worldwide|
|- Up to 10% off |
Applicable for HSBC cardholders worldwide
|Participating Hertz Locations worldwide|
|- 1 free day of car rental (minimum 4 days) |
Applicable for HSBC cardholders worldwide
|Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand|
|Choice of additional benefits:|
|- Up to 10% off PLUS Free 1 car class upgrade (minimum 6 days) |
Applicable for HSBC cardholders in Asia*
|United States and Canada|
|Australia and New Zealand|
|- Up to 10% PLUS 1 free day (minimum 6 days) |
Applicable for HSBC cardholders in Asia*
|United States and Canada|
|Australia and New Zealand|
|- Up to 10% PLUS EUR25 off (minimum 4 days) |
Applicable for HSBC cardholders in Asia*
|France, Italy, Spain and United Kingdoms|
|- Up to 10% PLUS USD25 off |
Applicable for HSBC cardholders in Asia*
|United States and Canada|
*Participating countries in Asia include Brunei, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea and Thailand
#Participating countries in Europe include UK, Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and United Kingdoms.
Hertz #1 Club Gold Enrollment:
- Enjoy complimentary HERTZ #1 Club Gold membership – the First-Class in car rental service, at over 40 of the world's busiest airports, and over 1,000 locations around the world in car rental service for HSBC cardholders residing in Asia
- Enrol online at www.hertz.com/asia/hsbcpremier and quote CDP#1752376
- Minimum age for Hertz #1 Club Gold membership is 21 years of age (exceptions apply).
- Applicable only to HSBC Premier cardholders residing in Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam.
- Void where prohibited or restricted by law. Any taxes are the sole responsibility of the purchaser.
PC# (Promotion code number):
Please quote both CDP# 1752376 and respective PC# for promotion and location during enquiry / reservation and present HSBC credit card at rental counter for identification
|1 Free day for self-drive rentals in USA & Canada (minimum 6 days)||960665|
|1 Free day for self-drive rentals in Europe (minimum 6 days)||996796|
|1 Free day for self-drive rentals in Australia & New Zealand (minimum 6 days)||996752|
|Free one car class upgrade for self-drive rentals in USA & Canada (minimum 6 days)||960724|
|Free one car class upgrade for self-drive rentals in Europe (minimum 6 days)||213172|
|Free one car class upgrade for self-drive rentals in Australia & New Zealand (minimum 6 days)||194294|
|1 Free day for self-drive rentals in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand (minimum 4 days)||117876|
|EUR25 off self-drive rentals in France, Spain, Italy and United Kingdoms (minimum 4 days)||176901|
|USD25 off self-drive rentals in USA and Canada (minimum 4 days)||176923|
- HSBC cardholders can book a Hertz Car in the following methods:
- Click the "Book Now" button right next to the offer (in the offer table at the top of the page) and book via the specific Hertz reservation page for the offer.
- Contact Local Hertz Reservation Centre directly here
- International Self-drive Rentals in USA, Canada, Europe, Australia, New Zealand
- Book online at www.hertz.com or contact your local Hertz Reservation Centre
- Hertz Reservation Centre in Hong Kong
- Tel : 852 2525 2838
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hertz Reservation Centre in other countries
- Go to www.hertz.com, select "Country of Residence" and click "Contact Us" at "Customer Support" (top right hand corner navigation)
- For all other rentals, please contact your local Hertz Reservation Centre or book online at www.hertz.com
Terms and Conditions:
- Applicable to all self-drive rentals
- All rentals must be paid by HSBC credit cards
- Up to 10% off Standard/Affordable rates at participating Hertz locations worldwide
- Reservations must be made at least 48 hours before car pick up
- The minimum rental age is 25 years and all drivers must be in the possession of a valid national driver licence, which must be held for at least a year (two years for Hong Kong)
- Both CDP# (Counter Discount Program number) and the respective Promotion Code (PC#) must be quoted during enquiry / reservation
- Standard rental qualifications, rental period and return restrictions in effect at time and place of rental, as per applicable rate plan terms and conditions apply
- No other promotions or discounts can be used in conjunction with these offers
- Standard blackout dates apply
- Hertz reserves the rights to modify and/ or cancel any offers without prior notice
- Self-drive Rentals in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand for cardholders residing in Asia
- Offer applies to Hertz Economy, Compact and Intermediate Size vehicle
- Rate includes Unlimited Mileage and Loss Damage Waiver subject to excess
- Rate excludes Tax, Petrol, Personal Accident Insurance and other optional surcharges
- Advance reservation of 48 hours and a minimum rental of 4 days are required
- Minimum rental age applies and all drivers must possess a valid driver's license which must be held for at least 1 year
- No other promotions or discounts can be used concurrently
- Hertz standard rental qualifications, rental period and return restrictions in effect at time and place of rental, as per applicable rate plan terms & conditions apply
- Standard blackout dates apply
- Hertz reserves the right to modify and/or cancel any offers without prior notice
- 10% discount is subject to a minimum 1 day’s rental
- Free one car class upgrade: Offer is subject to a minimum 6 days’ rental in a booking. Applicable on Compact to Standard 2/4-door in USA and Canada; Economy to Midsize in Europe; Economy to Standard in Australia and New Zealand. Maximum upgrade is to Full-size 4-door. Upgrade is subject to availability at rental counter
- One free day offer: Offer is subject to a minimum 6 days’ rental in a booking (i.e. Pay-5days-Drive-6days). Applicable on Compact 4-Door to Full-size 4-Door cars
- EUR25 offer: Offer is subject to a minimum 4 days’ rental in a booking. Applicable on Compact and larger cars, up to Full-size
- USD25 offer: Offer is subject to a minimum 4 days’ rental in a booking. Applicable on Compact and larger car group
Your passport to a world of benefits
Get the rewards and benefits you’ve earned
As an HSBC Premier client, you can carry a card as worldly as you are.
Choose your rewards
With an HSBC Premier Mastercard, you can choose one of two rewards programs. Earn rewards for travel and merchandise with the HSBC Premier Rewards Program, or choose the HSBC Cash Back Rewards Program for a 1% cash back rebate that is automatically issued as a credit to your HSBC Premier Mastercard account in January each year (as long as your HSBC Premier Mastercard Account is in good standing).
- Earn 1 Rewards Point for every $1 of eligible purchases1 made with your HSBC Premier Mastercard with the HSBC Premier Rewards Program OR
- Earn a 1% cash back rebate on eligible purchases3 made with your HSBC Premier Mastercard with the HSBC Cash Back Rewards Program
When you apply for an HSBC Premier Mastercard, you choose the rewards, for no additional fee!
View the Rates and Fees Information Box for details.Learn more
HSBC Premier Privileges
Enjoy access to a variety of travel, dining, shopping and entertainment offers around the world. Search offers by destination, merchant or category, or view travel insights and get local tips.
Preferred interest rate and repayment terms
HSBC Premier clients receive a preferred interest rate for purchases, cash advances and balance transfers, along with our longest interest-free grace period.
Extensive travel protection
Travel and Medical Insurance2 coverage of up to $1 million for you (as the Primary Cardholder), your spouse and dependent children travelling with you. Coverage for unlimited trips of up to 17 days per trip.
Emergency Travel and Medical coverage includes
- Hospital room and board charges
- Ambulance expenses
- Medical treatment by a physician
- Emergency accommodation
- Drugs and medication
- Rental of minor medical equipment
- Emergency dental expenses
Other coverage includes,
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Trip delay insurance
- Baggage delay or loss insurance
Trip Insurance2 – Common Carrier Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, Unexpected Return Home Insurance
Car Rental Insurance2 – Rent your car with the HSBC Premier Mastercard and receive automatic Collision Damage Waiver Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance and Personal Effects Insurance
Additional benefits with every HSBC Premier Mastercard
- Purchase Assurance and Extended Warranty Insurance2 When you purchase an item on your card, you’ll receive coverage for loss, theft or damage for 90 days from the purchase date. Your HSBC Premier Mastercard also doubles the original manufacturer’s warranty up to one additional year.
- Save time with Tap and GoTM The contactless feature makes your shopping even easier. It's quick and ideal at places where speed is essential, like fast food restaurants, grocery stores, movie theatres, and gas stations.
- Secure account transactions Chip & PIN technology helps reduce the possibility of your HSBC Mastercard being used by someone else.
Important Information about the HSBC Premier Mastercard:
To apply for an HSBC Premier Mastercard, you must:
- Be an HSBC Premier client
- Be a permanent Canadian resident and have reached the age of majority in your province/territory
To qualify for an HSBC Premier relationship, you are required to open and maintain an HSBC Premier chequing account, and maintain $100,000 in combined personal deposit and investments with HSBC Bank Canada and its subsidiaries. HSBC Premier monthly banking fees may apply (refer to the Personal Service Charges/Statement of Disclosure). The HSBC Premier Mastercard is subject to credit approval.