Privilege car insurance telephone
Getting the right cover is the most important thing, and then you should look for the cheapest policy.
Choose the right level of cover
There are three levels of car insurance cover you can choose from in the UK:
- Fully Comprehensive
- Third party, fire and theft
- Third party cover only
Here is what each level protects you against, and how to choose which is right for you.What car insurance cover should you get?
Find the best policy for you
There are several different types of motor insurance policy, and choosing the right one could save you money.
- Standard car insurance: Here is what a standard car insurance policy with cover.
- Multi car insurance: Insuring two or more cars on one policy could mean cheaper cover; find out how it can save you money here.
- Black box insurance: You can save by having your driving monitored through a black box policy; here is how it works.
Should you add extras?
You can customise your policy and extend your cover by adding extra benefits. These include:
- Legal cover - here is how to work out if you need it
- Breakdown cover
- Cover for lost or stolen keys
- No claims protection
- Cover for driving abroad
Here is a full list of the car insurance extras that could be worth adding to your policy.
Check your policy to see if any of these are included as standard, and if not, consider whether it is worth the additional cost to add them.Which car insurance extras are worth having?
How to get quotes from our comparison
You can get quotes from our website via the aggregator from our panel of insurers. Make sure you also compare separate policies in our table to make sure you get the best deal.
It can be a quick and easy way to find cheap policies, but be careful not to buy car insurance on price alone:
Pros and cons of comparison sites
- Get lots of quotes quickly
- Quotes shown in price order
- Only one form to complete
- Not all insurers are on them
- Can be cheaper if you go direct
- Multi car policies not shown
Car insurance FAQsQ
Can I drive a car without insurance?A
No, it is a legal requirement to have at least third party car insurance cover to drive in the UK.Q
How can I get cheaper car insurance?A
There are several things you can do to get cheaper cover. Try these 10 easy ways to cut your car insurance costs.Q
What does car insurance cover?A
It can cover damage to your and another driver's car after an accident. It can also cover theft, vandalism and fire.Q
Is it cheaper to pay annually or monthly?A
Paying annually in one go will usually work out cheaper because you will be charged interest of up to 30% when you pay monthly.Q
Should I let my policy automatically renew?A
No, your current provider will not usually offer the cheapest deal so shop around and find a new policy instead of renewing.Q
Can I get insurance for an imported car?A
Yes, you can use our quote service to find cheap cover for your imported car. You can select whether your car is a grey or parallel import.Q
Can I check if a car is already insured?A
Yes, you can check if a car has a valid insurance policy in place through the Motor Insurance Database (MID).Q
How long does car insurance last?A
Most car insurance policies last one year, but you can cancel your cover for a fee. You can get short term cover for between one day and three months.Q
Can I drive other cars?A
If you have a fully comprehensive policy you might be covered to drive other people's cars, but some polices do not allow this.Q
Can I switch my policy to another car?A
Yes, if you buy a new car you will need to tell your insurer so they can update your policy. The cost of your cover will probably change.
About our car insurance comparisonQ
Who do we include in this comparison?A
We include every insurer that offers comprehensive and third party, fire and theft car insurance policies in the UK. They are all regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Here is more information about how our website works.Q
How do we make money from our comparison?A
We have commercial agreements with some of the companies in this comparison and get paid commission if we help you take out one of their products or services. Find out more here.
You do not pay any extra and the deal you get is not affected.
Look what Swiftcover car insurance gives you as standard*
- Uninsured driver promise Take away your worries about uninsured drivers. If one of these dodgy drivers damages your car, simply let us know their make, model and number plate and we'll put things right – without costing a penny in excess payments, or losing any No Claims Discount†. Get a car insurance quote
- Lifetime guarantee on repairs All repairs from our approved nationwide network come with a lifetime guarantee. It's quality you can rely on for as long as you own your car. Get a car insurance quote
- 24 hour UK-based claims line When you really need to speak with someone, we're ready to help. Call right away, night or day. That's reassuring. Get a car insurance quote
- Courtesy car Keep on the go after a claim. While our approved nationwide network's repairing your car, you can rely on a courtesy car for up to 14 days. Subject to availability following a valid claim. Standard 3 door 1 litre manual car provided for up to 14 days while our approved network repairs the car or the car is declared a total loss. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply. Get a car insurance quote
Plus you also get these benefits with Swiftcover car insurance:
- Award winning customer service
- Car insurance quotes in double swift time online
- Your choice of cover options for extra peace of mind
- Car insurance certificate ready to print without waiting for the post
- Personal account to keep your paperwork safe in one place online
- No admin charges when you update your details yourself online
Get a car insurance quote >
*Included in Swiftcover comprehensive car insurance. Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply. Full details in the policy wording.
† We will return any No Claims Discount and Excess if you are not to blame
- Terms & conditions
- Security centre
- Customer promise
- Press office
- Investor relations
- TV advert
Correct as of 17th March, 2017
Research commissioned by Gocompare.com carried out with 2,011 UK adults in December 2014 by Vision Critical
Research commissioned by Gocompare.com, carried out with 2,000 UK adults in May 2011 by OnePoll
Based on independent research by Consumer Intelligence during 1 October to 31 October, 2016:
51% of consumers could achieve a saving of up to £286.44 with Gocompare.com car insurance based on a comparison of 34 companies
Based on www.reviews.co.uk†:
87% of customers who left a car insurance review recommend Gocompare.com
Average rating 4.6 out of 5 for car insurance, from 2712 reviews left by Gocompare.com customers (February 2017)